Stay up to date with...

the latest general
& national news
from bmcr.

Our membership varies from newbies to World Champions; there is a place for everyone, whatever ability.

Racing News

Having seen the government’s provisional timetable for relaxation of Covid measures, I’m sure you are all keen to know when and how we can get back to racing.Unfortunately there isn’t a simple or immediate answer to this, but I’ll try to bring you up to date

The changes scheduled for 29 March (earliest) include:Formally organised outdoor sports for adults and under 18s – can restart and not be subject to the gatherings limits, but should be compliant with guidance issued by national governing bodies. This will be the main provision which allows us to return to racing, but we will have to comply with guidance issued by British Cycling for road, circuit and track racing, and Cycling Time Trials for TTs.CTT have recently announced that all solo time trials can resume from 29 March, subject to the guidance and Risk Assessment which they published last summer (there may be some minor revisions), but team time trials cannot. See

BC are working on a plan for a staged return to racing, which has to be based on the plans and assessments of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and also Sport England. This assessment is due very soon and will be shared as soon as we have it .BC have told us that they don’t expect a full return until after 21 June (earliest and assuming there are no more bumps in the covid road!), but they are looking at a staged return through April, May and June, including circuit races initially followed by some ‘pilot’ road races.

What this means for us?

1 Any time trials (except team TTs) planned for 29 March onwards can go ahead. TTTs likely to follow as soon as social distancing rules allow.

2 Any circuit races planned for May onwards can probably go ahead, but may be subject to special provisions (size of field, duration of races etc).

3 National Championship events scheduled for late June onwards should be ok to go ahead, but those earlier (Women’s RR Champs and A&B RR Champs) will probably need to be postponed

.4 Any road races scheduled up to mid-May will not be possible.We will be in touch again in the coming weeks, as soon as more detailed plans are issued by BC and the situation becomes clearer.

Best regardsNigel Byrne on behalf of the NEC